Chyawanprash is part of the Indian diet, it doesn’t need any special introduction. Chyawanprash is a healthy supplement to boost the immunity in both kids and adults. It is a winter staple in every Indian home, this is because kids falling ill in winters most. Amla is the main ingredient in Chyawanprash and amla is loaded with immunity boosters and highly used in Ayurveda to nourish the health and increase immunity.
During your next grocery store visit skip the regular Chyawanprash jar because preparing one at home is super easy. All you need is essential ingredients and some patience. Let’s get started by preparing a natural immunity booster for kids.
Key Ingredients –
- 1 kg Indian Gooseberries or Amla
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 600 grams jaggery
- 2 tablespoon honey
- A generous pinch of saffron strands
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 30 nos black peppercorn
- 2 Nutmeg
- 10 nos cardamom
- 10 cloves
- 2-inch dry ginger
Method to prepare Home Made Chyawanprash-
- Wash the amla thoroughly in plain water 2-3 times and drain out the excess water. Take a pressure cooker and pressure cook the amla for 2 whistles in 3 cups of filter water.
- Break the jaggery into small chunks or use jaggery powder preferably organic jaggery powder.
- Grind together cinnamon stick, black peppercorn, nutmeg, cardamom, dry ginger. Make sure there is no chunk, sieve the powder and keep aside.
- Once the cooker releases pressure allows the boiled amlas to cool and remove the seeds from them.
- Grind the amla with little water until you get a smooth puree. Make sure it is lump-free.
6. Take a heavy bottom pan and add ghee to it. After the ghee melts add the alma puree and cook on medium flames for 15-20 minutes.
7. Make sure to stir the mixture until it becomes thick.
- Add the jaggery powder and make sure it blends well with the alma puree. Allow it to cool or a while until the jaggery melts. It will take 5-7 minutes and the mix will start getting thick again.
9. Add the spice powder and cook for 10-12 minutes in low flame, you will notice bubbles burning from the mix.
- Once the mix gets Chyawanprash consistency, you can see the mix will start leaving sides of the pan.
- In the end, add honey and saffron strands and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Now, transfer the Chyawanprash into a sterilized airtight container.
This healthy homemade Chyawanprash stays fresh for 4 months at room temperature, make sure to store the container in a cool and dry place. Always use a dry spoon to scoop out Chyawanprash.
Homemade Chyawanprash is totally safe for babies and toddlers and works as an immunity booster. Babies can take a small quality of Chyawanprash after 2 years of age. Offer 1 teaspoon of Chyawanprash with a glass of lukewarm milk before going to bed, it will work as a winter immunity trick for kids.
- Avoid giving Chyawanprash in summers as it generated lots of heat and can lead to diarrhea in kids. The homemade Chyawanprash boosts the immunity, mental health, and resistivity. It keeps the cough, cold , fever at bay and builds immunity in kids . A very helpful herbal option to stay fit and healthy during winters and can be given to adults too.
Read similar blogs here – https://www.mylittlemoppet.com/homemade-chyawanprash-recipe/
About the Blogger-
I am Hema, HR turned full-time blogger based in Bangalore. I prefer to observe and analyze the real world and blog about my learnings. As a parent, I always look for the best possible ways and hacks to make parenting easy. Stay tuned to this space and witness some healthy food recipes and tips to make parenting a fun journey.
Read Hema’s other Blogs here-